Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Storytelling Week 12: The Tart Thief

After Alice had dined with the Hatter and the Hare, she eventually wound up in the King and Queen's Court. Everyone was there, and the Knave was standing between two guards in chains. Alice noticed a plate of tarts on a table near the King and Queen, and hoped they would soon be passing them out as they looked so good.

She began to notice all the different aspects of the court: the judge (who was the King) and the jury made up of all sorts of animals and people.

Source: Disney's Alice in Wonderland, 1951


Alice waited patiently for the trial to start. Finally, the King ordered for the crime to be read aloud. The White Hare, who was the herald of the court, announced that the Knave of Hearts had stolen the Queen's tarts, and his punishment was to be banished from Wonderland for all of eternity.

"What is your verdict?" the King asked.

"Why the rush, Your Highness?" the Hare asked. "We have so much to do beforehand! Will Mr. Hatter please approach the bench?"

As the Mad Hatter approached the bench, Alice began to fidget. This was all too intense, and to think the Knave's fate in Wonderland depended on just three people! The Hatter didn't seem too concerned as he walked up with tea in hand.

After a long line of questions, Alice began to wonder if they really planned to kick the Knave out of Wonderland. She soon forgot her worries as the next witness was called: the Duchess's cook. The cook declined to answer any questions, but the King said she has no other option or she will be executed. Eventually, the King was done questioning the cook -- he had asked her mainly what was used to make tarts -- and he asked for the final witness. Alice watched intently as the Dormouse was awoken and sent to the stand for questioning.

"Have you seen who stole the tarts?" the King asked the mouse. "Or have you any idea who might have stolen them?"

The Dormouse, who was barely awake as he was sleeping most of his days away, looked up lazily and said one word -- Alice. At hearing her name, Alice looked up in fear as the Queen's gaze stopped directly on her. "Grab that girl and expel her this instance!" the Queen yelled angrily. "Never again shall you set foot in Wonderland!"

Alice kicked and clawed as the King's guards grabbed her and pushed towards an odd looking doorway. "This is a travesty!" she screamed. "I've never stolen anything in my life!"

But it was too late. Because of one testimony, Alice had been banned from Wonderland for life. The guards pushed her through the door and suddenly she was back in her bed, in her world. She began to cry as she realized never again would she be a part of the wonder and magic of that strange world again.

Author's Note: I used Who Stole the Tarts as the basis for my story. It's pretty similar in structure and events -- I left out a lot that happened for the sake of brevity -- but I changed it to a rather abrupt ending in which Alice is kicked out without a chance to speak her peace. A sad ending, sure, but fairy tales aren't always happy!

Bibliography:
From the Alice in Wonderland unit: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll, 1865.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked your story a lot! It was so entertaining and easy to read! I was definitely shocked by your abrupt ending, but thought it was a cool and creative change. Your writing is in great shape. Your sentences are really clear and you had very few grammatical errors. It all flowed really well and was interesting and fun to read. Great job! I liked this story a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story. It was clear and fun to read. If I were you, I'd try to write more descriptively, since that's (if I remember correctly) how Lewis Carroll writes. Even so, I really enjoyed this story, and Alice in Wonderland has always been one of my favorite stories. Good job on your story! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Patrick! I thought you did a great job with your story and I really enjoyed reading it. I liked how you kept it clear and concise because it made it very easy to read. As noted in your Author's Note, I agree that fairy tales are not always happy. Having Alice kicked out of Wonderland for life was a cool twist and also shows how court is not always fair both in reality and in Wonderland. Overall, I thought you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, this is another excellent story. Again this was very well written and had a good flow throughout. I like that you made the story a little shorter, which appeals to me. I also liked the sad ending. Fairy tales are not always happy like most people thing, so it was cool to see one in in that way. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick. I had already commented on your introduction so I read another one of your stories. I thought this one was great. You used a lot of detail to set up the entire situation, which helped me relate to the story more. The dialogue was very well written and flowed so well. Good job with that because dialogue can sometimes be hard to write. I thought the ending was great. Even though it is sad that she can never return to Wonderland, I like how you made her upset about it. It shows how much she lost. Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete