Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Reading Diary B: Jamaican Anansi Stories

So like I mentioned in my last reading diary, I picked one of the hardest units for Weeks 6 and 7. With that being said, I'm gonna stick with it and get this unit knocked out.

In the story Rain and Fire, there are two separate sections. The Goat is trying to run away from Anansi and realizes he can't get across the river to get away. So he magically turns himself into a stone, which the Dog sees. The Dog asks Anansi to throw the stone over to him because Anansi doesn't know it's the Goat. So he does, and the stone turns into the Goat on the other side and gets away.

I didn't know there was so much magic in Jamaican lore, which would make sense since I'm pretty sure voodoo is pretty big down there (I could be wrong).

Anyway, in the second half of the story Anansi invites Fire to his house (yes that kind of fire) even though his wife, who is a bird, says that's a horrible idea. Fire tells Anansi he can't get there without some dry brush to walk on. Anansi's wife continues to plead with him not to do that, but he does it anyways. Sure enough, when Fire comes around he burns everything except Ground-Dove, Anansi's wife. I like the humanization of Fire in this story while still maintaining the physical properties of actual fire.



I also focused on Spider Marries Monkey's Daughter. I realized Anansi is a weird dude, because he never seems to want to marry other spiders. He just marries or whatever he does whoever he wants. Species don't seem to matter much in the Jamaican stories! But whatever, they're just stories, and logic doesn't matter!




No comments:

Post a Comment